Skip to main content

Making an insurance claim for loss or damage

Tenants, leaseholders or any member of the public can make an insurance claim for compensation if they feel they have sustained loss or damage due to negligence by Tower Hamlets Homes (THH) or our contractors.

Negligence would be something we have done or failed to do which has caused the loss or damage. The claim should be made using our claim form, which can be downloaded requested by emailing us at or by ringing 0207 364 5015.

The completed claim form should be emailed to or posted to:

Tower Hamlets Homes

PO Box 66355
E14 1GU

When we receive the completed form we will need to carry out an inspection to gather further information relating to the claim. If the claim is against one of our contractors we will forward the information to the appropriate contractor for consideration by their insurers. If the claim is against THH then we will forward the form with any relevant information we hold to the Council’s Insurance Team. Please note that whilst all claims will be fully considered, compensation is not guaranteed. Also, compensation is only paid in circumstances where there has been negligence, which means that the loss or damage has been caused because of something Tower Hamlets Homes or our contractor have done or not done.

THH does not insure home contents such as furniture, belongings or decorations. Therefore, tenants and leaseholders are strongly advised to take out their own home contents insurance. To help with this, we have teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks who offer low-cost, contents insurance cover. Further details about the scheme can be found on the Home Contents Insurance page of our website.

Any claims for personal injury due to negligence will be sent to the Council’s Insurance Team for consideration.