Skip to main content

If you sub-let your home, you will be responsible for the landlord’s duties arising under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

This means you are legally responsible for making sure your gas appliances, pipework and flues are safe and well maintained.

You must arrange for an annual gas safety check by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

You must make sure your tenant is given a copy of the annual gas safety check (called a CP12). And you must provide a copy of the CP12 to new tenants before they move into the property.

Failure to meet gas safety requirements can lead to criminal prosecution, resulting in a fine or possibly even imprisonment.

For more information on gas safety obligations for landlords, see the HSE and Gas Safe Register website:

Gas safety


Gas Safe Register

Tel: 0800 408 5500
Website: Gas Safe Register

National Grid Emergency Line

Tel: 0800 111 999