Skip to main content

Housing Benefit

Are you entitled to benefits and how might the benefit cap and Non-Dependants affect your entitlement?

Housing Benefit is available to people on a low income to help them with their rent. The amount of housing benefit you may get varies according to your income, savings, rent and personal circumstances.

How do I claim Housing Benefit?

You can apply for housing benefits by completing the Council's online form

How much am I entitled to?

Get an instant online estimate of how much Housing Benefit you may be entitled to using the free instant online web calculator. The calculator will help you work out your entitlement to housing and council tax benefits and tax credits.

Remember, this is an estimate based on the information you supply. For a full evaluation, please make a formal claim to the council's Housing Benefit service.

What is the benefit cap?

Who is a Non-Dependant?

A non-dependant is an adult aged over 18 living in your household who is not:

  • Your husband, wife or partner

  • A child that you receive child benefit for

How does a Non-Dependant affect my Housing Benefit?

If you have a Non-Dependant living in your home, your Housing Benefit will reduce.

The deduction amount is based on the Non-Dependants weekly gross income. The deduction amount is fixed and is applied even if the Non-Dependant does not pay.

How does a Non-Dependant deduction affect my rent?

It will reduce your weekly Housing Benefit award, which means it will increase the weekly amount you pay towards your rent.

Your Non-Dependant is expected to contribute towards the rent. However, the responsibility to pay the rent remains with you, the tenant, even if the Non-Dependant refuses to pay his / her part towards the weekly rent.

How much are Non-Dependant reductions?

The amount depends on how much gross income your Non-Dependant receives. Gross income means all the money they get before Income Tax and National Insurance is deducted. Housing Benefit will need to see original proof of Non-Dependant's income.

If you don't give Housing Benefit your original pay slip as proof, of income they will deduct the maximum amount allowed. Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance and Personal Independence Payments are not included as income.

The Non-Dependant deductions are set by the government and changes every April. If there are any changes in your non-dependants circumstance, you must inform Housing Benefit immediately.

Are there any exemptions?

No deductions are made if you or your partner are:

  • Registered Blind
  • Receiving Attendance Allowance
  • Receiving the Care Component of Disability Living Allowance (at any rate)
  • Receiving Personal Independence Payment (daily living component)
  • Receiving Armed Forces Independence Payment

Explore more

Need advice about benefits, debts or rent arrears?