Serious fires in blocks of flats are rare but when they happen the results can be tragic. It’s best that everyone understands fire safety procedures and the rules about obstructing corridors and walkways. Please take a few minutes to read through this advice.
Buildings and the Fire Safety Strategy
Fire is a serious potential risk if not suitably managed and THH sets out how it achieves fire safety and resilience in the fire risk management strategy. This strategy details the framework that THH uses to manage the risk of fire and to deliver fire safety related works. THH have created an overview document in order to:
- enable residents to learn about and influence THH’s approach to fire safety
- inform staff of our approach to fire safety, so that they can discuss with any concerned parties; and
- encourage joint learning.
You can read more about our approach in the booklet below.
Preventing fires in your home - general advice
- If you are a leaseholder fit smoke alarms on each floor and test them once a week. The Fire Brigade provides FREE home fire safety checks and will give you a free smoke alarm. You can book an appointment online at london-fire.gov.uk or phone them on 0800 028 44 28.
- If you are a Council Tenant there should already be a smoke alarm in your flat. If not, please contact the THH Housing Service Centre on 020 7364 5015.
- When you go to bed, make sure that you’ve closed all the internal doors.
- Take care in the kitchen – most fires start here, so never leave your cooking unattended and take extra care with hot oil.
- Never leave lit candles unattended.
- Make sure cigarettes are stubbed out and disposed of carefully and never smoke in bed.
- Don’t overload electrical sockets.
- Keep matches away from children.
- Do not store flammable liquids such as petrol in your home, bin store or chutes.
The London Fire Brigade have helpful fire advice in different languages here.
What to do if there is a fire
The London Fire Brigade have produced helpful short films on what to do if there is a fire in your property or block. You can watch them here.