Skip to main content

Buy a block freehold

Enfranchisement is the right of leaseholders to purchase the freehold of the building from the landlord.

What is collective enfranchisement?  

Collective enfranchisement is an entitlement for qualifying leaseholders to buy a share in the freehold of the building where they own a property.

What do I have to do if I am interested in collective enfranchisement?

We recommend that if you and other leaseholders where you live are interested in submitting a claim to the Council for collective enfranchisement of your building, you seek independent legal advice from a solicitor before entering into any agreements in relation to your lease. A Solicitor can answer any questions you have regarding the qualifying criteria to submit a collective enfranchisement claim to the Council, the collective enfranchisement process and the responsibilities you will have once you have a share of the freehold of a building. 

Your appointed Solicitors can send the claim the Council at the address below;


Property Team, Legal Services

London Borough of Tower Hamlets

Town Hall

6th Floor Mulberry Place

London E14 2BG



The Leasehold Advisory Service (LEASE) is an independent organisation that provides free advice and guidance to leaseholders. If you are interested in finding out more about collective enfranchisement, you can read more information on the LEASE website by clicking the 'related link' on the right corner of this page.