Skip to main content

Building Insurance

Learn about building insurance, what is and is not covered and how to make a claim.

Building Insurance

As you may be aware the Council’s Building Insurance section undertook a s20 consultation exercise with you and sought competitive quotes for the building insurance commencing on 1 April 2023. Given that we are obliged to ensure cover is in place, we have had to accept the only compliant bid we received. However, this will mean an increase in the amounts payable by you. Further details of your contribution towards this charge was issued to you with the April estimates, if you require copy of this please contact us on 020 7364 5015.

The policy includes cover for:

  • Interior decorations and fixtures and fittings within the leasehold premises/dwelling
  • Private garages, including garages on nearby sites forming part of the property
  • Domestic outbuildings
  • Septic tanks and central heating fuel tanks
  • Sheds

The building insurance is supplied by Protector Insurance. You can read their Leasehold Buildings Policy here. 

Please note the buildings insurance policy is applicable only for leasehold properties where the council is the freeholder for the residential block. If you are unsure of who your freeholder/managing agent is please check who your service charge is payable to.

Making a building insurance claim

If you need to make a claim for your property on the building insurance policy, you should:

  • Check the policy booklet and schedule of cover to see if the loss or damage is covered and what conditions might apply.
  • Pay the first £100 (the ‘excess’) of any claim (except for subsidence where you pay the first £1,000).
  • Contact the insurer’s nominated loss adjuster Sedgwick’s directly on: 0161 823 1912 or email
  • Make your claim within 30 days.
  • Quote policy number: 3139238-2
  • Not carry out any repairs (except for essential emergency works up to £250) without the Insurer's approval. If you do carry out essential emergency works please retain receipts as these may be requested by Sedgwick’s when you report the claim.