Bedroom Tax: How many bedrooms do you have?

From 1 April 2013, if you’re aged 16 or over, and not receiving pension credit, and have at least one spare bedroom, the government will no longer pay full Housing Benefit



Are you affected?

Each of the following represents one bedroom that the government will continue to pay for through your Housing Benefit:

  • Couple/Adult
  • Any other person aged 16 or over
  • Two children of the same sex under the age of 16
  • Two children under the age of 10 regardless of their sex
  • An overnight carer (who does not normally live with you)

If you have:

  • 1 spare room – your Housing Benefit will be cut by 14% (calculated from total rent) a week
  • 2 spare rooms – your Housing Benefit will be cut by 25% (calculated from total rent) a week

What can you do?

  • Pay the difference – between your rent and the amount of Housing Benefit you receive
  • Move to a smaller property - either by applying for a smaller home or swapping with another tenant who needs a larger home We offer incentives and support. Contact us to discuss your options
  • Take in a lodger – you can rent out your additional room(s) to lodger for additional income. Remember to talk to us about it first




Talk to us

We have a dedicated team ready to help you through the changes

Tel: 020 7364 5015 (option 3, then option 3)