Debt advice

If you're finding it difficult to keep up with your rent payments, let us know. Call us on 020 7364 5015. We will talk you through your options and give you clear advice to help you get back on track with your payments.

For advice about benefits and looking for work contact GOV.UK or contact your local Job Centre Plus office.


Other organisations can offer help and advice if you're worried about debt. Scroll down the page to find help online, over the phone or face-to-face.

Specialist money and debt advisors

We can refer you to specialist advisors who offer free, confidential, independent advice on debt and money management.

We can refer you to:

  • Tower Hamlets Floating Support Service
  • LBTH Money Advice Service (Tenants only)
  • Limehouse Project
  • Account 3

We will work with you and any agency that supports you to pay your rent or service charges.


Social Fund – Crisis & Support Grants

The council can provide financial support to some of the most vulnerable residents of Tower Hamlets. Funds for the grants are very limited, and there's strict eligibility criteria to ensure we can support people in the greatest need. Find out more.


Discretionary housing payments

Every year Tower Hamlets benefits service receives a limited amount of funding from central government for existing housing and/or council tax benefit claimants who do not receive full benefits and who can show that they have special circumstances.

These additional payments are discretionary and do not fall under the normal housing and council tax benefit rules. Find out more.


Help opening a bank account

We are working with Tower Hamlets Community Credit Union to provide bank accounts for residents with a bad credit rating. These bank accounts mean you can:

  • Pay for goods in most stores using a debit card
  • Pay your bills by direct debit or standing order
  • A safer place your benefits or wages to be paid into

The credit union may also be able to offer you a loan.

To find out further information about opening a basic bank account at the Credit Union contact them on 020 7729 9218 or visit their website at

The credit union have offices in Bow, Poplar and Bethnal Green


East End Energy Fit 

East End Energy Fit is a project based at Bromley by Bow Centre. They support those having difficulty paying their gas, electricity and water bills - and may be facing arrears. They also help residents who are in hardship to apply for grants for household furniture such as beds, cookers, washing machines and refrigerators.


Tower Hamlets Food Bank

Emergency food parcels for local people in crisis.

Tel: 020 3609 0850




Email:      Tel: 020 8519 6264

If you just moved into your new home or you need new fridge, cooker or furniture, please contact Homestore, Stratford.


Other local money and debt advice

There are several other advice agencies in Tower Hamlets that provide general and specialist advice. These are:

The National Debtline offers free, confidential and independent help over the phone. You can call their helpline on 0808 808 4000 or download various publications from their website:

Step Change, debt charity, offers free, confidential independent advice to people who have debt problems. You can call them on 0800 138 1111 or visit their website


Benefits and Tax Credits

We can help you make sure that you are claiming all of the benefits that you are entitled to by referring you to an advice agency who will look at your individual situation and help you figure out if you are entitled to any benefits or tax credits.

You can check if you are eligible for housing benefit online with the housing benefit calculator.


Compare your energy costs

You may be able to reduce the cost of your gas and electricity bills by switching to a different supplier. Services such as uSwitch and Compare the Market make this process easy. Please note that there are lots of these services and mentioning them does not mean that THH endorse them.