Fire in High Rise Block – Advice for THH Residents

Posted on Friday 2nd September 2016

On 19 August a huge blaze, caused by a faulty tumble dryer, ripped through five floors of a council-owned tower block in Shepherds Bush,  the London Fire Brigade has confirmed. Fifty people were evacuated and there were no serious injuries in the fire, but two flats were destroyed and two more were severely damaged.

The fault affects some Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda machines manufactured between April 2004 and September 2015. Residents can check whether their product is affected by entering the machine's serial code here.

The London Fire Brigade is now urging residents to immediately unplug certain tumble dryers. The brigade last week urged manufacturer Whirlpool to change its advice on the product, which suggests it can be used safely while waiting for an engineer.

 

Posted on Friday 2nd September 2016