Home Contents Insurance Scheme for residents

Are you protected?

Everyone at some time or another may suffer a disaster such as fire, flooding, burst pipes, theft or vandalism, which could damage the contents of your home. While it is sensible to take precautions to prevent catastrophes from happening, they are sometimes unavoidable. It can be very expensive if you have to replace furniture, clothing, carpets and electrical equipment.

All tenants and leaseholders are responsible for insuring their contents against damages like these. The Council and Tower Hamlets Homes strongly advises all Council tenants and leaseholders to take out home insurance in some form.

You can do this by making your own private arrangements, or you can join the Crystal Insurance Scheme. This scheme is arranged in conjunction with Thistle Tenant Risks and can help our tenants and residents obtain home contents insurance easily and at a price that is affordable.  The scheme also allows tenants and leaseholders to extend their policy, and as premiums are collected directly by Crystal Insurance cover will not be affected by your rent account.


What is covered by the scheme?

Most of your household goods and contents including pedal cycles and computer equipment are insured when in your home. They are covered against loss or damage caused by specific events such as theft, fire and flood.  Tenants and leaseholders have the option to increase their cover to include Extended Accidental Damage, Personal Effects, Wheelchairs, Hearing Aids and Garages, Sheds & Greenhouses depending on their individual needs.  Full details are available on request.

How do you pay?

You can pay your premiums by one of the following methods:

  • Fortnightly or monthly by using a Swipe Card at any Post Office or Pay Zone outlet
  • Monthly by Direct Debit
  • Annually by credit/debit card, cheque or postal order made payable to Crystal Insurance Scheme.

Who can apply?

The scheme is arranged with Allianz Insurance plc and is available only to Tower Hamlets Council tenants and leaseholders (owner occupiers).

How you can apply for home insurance?

Application forms are available from our housing service centres, the Council's Insurance Section or you can download an application form below.

What happens next?

Once you've completed the application form, please return it to:

Thistle Tenant Risks
Grove Park Industrial Estate
Waltham Road
White Waltham

Your insurance will begin on the date you are notified that your application has been accepted. To make sure you are always covered, you must keep up your payments.

What happens once you have been accepted onto the scheme?

You will receive a policy booklet, schedule and confirmation of the premium and date when you should start paying. To ensure that you are always covered, you must keep all your payments up to date. Failure to keep up payments could affect any claim settlement and may lead to the cancellation of your insurance.

Making a claim under the scheme

To make a claim you must call the Claims Helpline on 0345 450 7286 as soon as possible.  Full details of how to claim will be included in the policy document. If you have any queries about your insurance please contact Crystal Insurance on 0345 450 7286.

More information

If you want to know more about the Crystal Home Contents Insurance scheme or want to ask a question, please contact the Council's Insurance Team.

E-mail: insurance@towerhamlets.gov.uk

Council's Insurance Section
 7th Floor
Mulberry Place
5 Clove Crescent
London, E14 2BG

Tel: 020 7364 6568
Fax: 020 7364 4407