Claiming on your home contents insurance

A guide for residents

If you think that the damage to your home contents has been caused by THH we always recommend that you claim for the damage against your own home contents insurance policy.  This is because:

  • Your claim will be settled by your insurer and your home contents replaced on the new for old basis as soon as possible – on average your claim will be settled by your own insurer in up to 2 months.
  • If you make a claim you will not be specifically penalised with a premium increase.  If premiums do increase it will reflect the overall performance of the scheme and value of claims made by all policyholders.  Premiums actually reduced in 2012 and have since remained the same.  If the Insurer finds THH at fault for the damage when it investigates,  it will pursue THH to recover the monies

If you choose not to claim on your own contents insurance policy and pursue THH the claim will need to be fully investigated under the Council’s Public Liability policy and it may take longer than 2 months to provide you with a decision on whether the Council will pay the claim.  Compensation is not guaranteed under this policy. 

For a public liability claim to be successful negligence or beach of a statutory duty must be proved.  This process can be at times quite lengthy as investigations must be thorough.  If your claim is declined you may be too late to claim on your contents insurance policy afterwards. Successful claims will be settled according to their value at the time of loss and a deduction made for wear and tear. 

If you would like to find out more about the process for public liability claims please contact the Council’s insurance section for advice:

Council's Insurance Section

Tel: 020 7364 6568
Write to: Tower Hamlets Council, Insurance Section, 7th Floor, Mulberry Place, 5 Clove Crescent, E14 2BG


Contact Tower Hamlets Homes 

Tel: 020 7364 5015
Write to:Tower Hamlets Homes, PO Box 66355, London, E14 9YQ