Gas safety for residents

If maintained properly, gas appliances are normally safe. If they are not looked after they can become deadly for you, your family and your neighbours.

It is always important to check the ID card of any gas engineer that comes to do work in your property. Always use a
 Gas Safe registered engineer to carry out gas work safely and legally in your home.

 

If you are a tenant

We will carry out an annual gas service and safety check of your gas boiler free of charge. We must do this every year by law. Our fully-qualified Gas Safe staff also check that your radiators and hot water are working properly.

 

If you are a leaseholder

You should get your gas appliances checked regularly by a Gas Safe registered engineer to make sure they are working properly and safely.


Your gas safety

Leaking gas can cause an explosion, and gas appliances that are not working correctly can produce poisonous and deadly fumes. We recommend that you never block up any air vents in your home and that you fit a carbon monoxide alarm to warn you of a carbon monoxide build-up in your home.

If there is a strong smell of gas, or you think there might be a leak, contact the National Grid Emergency Line immediately and:

  • Turn off the gas supply at the main gas meter if this is in your property
  • Open the doors and windows
  • Don’t switch anything electrical on or off, including the lights, as this could cause an explosion
  • Don’t smoke, strike matches or light candles

 

Liquid petroleum gas and paraffin heaters

Under the terms of your tenancy agreement or lease you must not store or use any form of bottled gas or paraffin heaters. It can be extremely dangerous and any breach of this rule will be treated very seriously.